September 19, 2011 by oswestrychamberoftrade
Oswestry Chamber of Commerce Minutes of meeting 7th September 2011
The Chairman welcomed members to the meeting, including additional guests; Peter Stokes (Chair, Business Networking Group, Shropshire Chamber of Commerce), Paul Wiseman (Paul Wiseman Investigations) and Kate Garner (Shropshire Council).
Matters arising since last meeting:
– Martin Anderson reported on the NSCA meeting which was held on 2nd September with speakers Keith Barrow and Owen Patterson taking questions from attendees.
– Chamber logo – John Waine (JW) will be talking to 3 design companies for ideas; the new name is Oswestry Chamber of Commerce. JW will report back once further progress made.
– Carol Ewels – business consultant with Shropshire Council has said she is willing to run a training session for the chamber in the form of a ‘Boost your Business’ workshop in early October. Open to 10/12 people at a cost of £10 each, time likely to be 9.30am to1.30pm. People to contact JW for further details.
– Paul Wiseman gave a talk for attendees on the steps required if there is a suspected thief in the business. Contact him for more detailed information.
– Peter Stokes spoke briefly to members about the Business Networking Group. The aim is to get local businesses to do business with each other whenever possible. It is an informal networking opportunity (lasting approximately 1.5 hours) with each member giving a 1 minute informal presentation. PS reported that the organisation doesn’t have many Oswestry based businesses attending and invited Oswestry Chamber members to attend future meetings which are held fortnightly at Oswestry Cricket Club.
– Kate Garner talked about the Market Towns Revitalisation Programme. A summary of the points discussed is listed below:
1. £3.5m development monies put aside across Shropshire
2. Main part of the money is spread across the 6 main market towns.
3. Rural challenge monies exist for projects outside the towns. £7.5k to £40k available per project
4. Oswestry has been allocated £650k; consultation on this started November 2010
5. World Café event is being held at end of September 2011 to discuss projects The meeting closed with members reporting on ‘future events to note’.
Category OCCI Minutes | Tags: